Tuesday, February 7, 2012

DIY Laundry Detergent (powdered)

HE washer friendly:

76 oz. Box Borax
55 oz. Box Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
4 lb. box baking soda
2 small cont. of oxy clean (or generic form)
3 bars Fels-naptha soap (grate this up real fine. I then put it in my food processor with the blade in)

Mix it all up and you’re done. I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I use 1 to 2 tablespoons (depending on how big of a load I have) in the tub (HE washer) first then the clothes and start the washer.

Note: I’ve seen recipes that say you can use any kind of bar soap you want if you don’t use the Fels-naptha bar soap. But I used the Fels-naptha when I made mine...smells nice and clean!

For those of you with sensitive skin, this should be friendly!

You can buy all of the ingredients form Reasor's there are a few Wal-mart stores that carry everything, but not all of them do.

I have read where some people are putting essential oils in for fragrance. But I haven't tried that yet.  I would imagine it is easier to add it to your liquid fabric softener (DIY recipe).

2 comments:

  1. Is that really 4 pounds of Baking Soda? Or 4 ounces?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure why this was hiding from me -- Yes, 4 POUNDS of baking soda...It is the large box you can usually find in the cleaning aisle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!